Babylace94

Reiki

What are some opinions about reiki healing? Most of what I have read is basically using the universal energy to help your own/another person's energy flow better. Another thing I have read is that reiki is dangerous because you are making agreements with "outside forces" and they can take your energy. Naturally, this was concerning to read.

While reiki isn't directly used by shamans, it's useful to examine it. I have done both reiki healing and shamanic healing.

With reiki, you're essentially just channeling an outside energy, which has its own intent and purpose. If it works for the "good" of the person, then you have to understand what it's reiki that decides what that "good" is. Mostly, the results would be considered beneficial by people receiving it, but sometimes it can be abrupt or difficult when the inevitable changes come from a reiki healing. It's like a water faucet that you can turn on or off, but you can't direct or control otherwise.

I don't know what the problem is with "outside forces" would be with reiki. If you work with elemental energy or other things, you are also working with "outside forces", though directed more by you. I don't believe reiki is capable of taking your energy, even if it was inclined to do so. Other outside forces could, perhaps, so it's important to be careful. I would recommend that, in general, people don't use outside forces until they have completed a lot of self-healing, and have a very good reason to do so - reiki is a bit of an exception due to the way it works.

The upside to reiki is its relatively "safe" - you can use it, confident that it will do its thing, and you can't mess it up, This is why it's great for beginners, or people who have trouble feeling energy. The downside is because you have no control or direction of it, it doesn't really help when you want to accomplish particular things. If you're working on somebody with a broken leg, maybe reiki decides that it's more beneficial to heal some emotional damage, or even that 10 years in the future there's an event which has more of a healing need. You just don't have any real control of it.

Shamanic healing is like a wielding a scalpel - you have a lot of control, can direct it exactly to where you want it to go. This is good in the sense that what you want to accomplish, depending on your personal power and skill, you can accomplish. But it's very unsuited to beginners - you can harm people, including yourself, potentially. We in this tradition from the website only teach healing work beginning about 3 to 5 years into training for that reason.

Hope that helps. 

Reiki is quite wholesome, and if you are attuned with an actual lineage, it's efficient stuff. A lot of reiki classes and seminars now are pure fluff, however. They cannot trace their lineage back to the original "master" and that is what you want to watch out for. It is basically becoming attuned to ki/qi. It's basically a different form of qigong, where you learn to manipulate and balance your inner energy and using a universal "healing" energy to help others.

Shamanic healing (at least in my people's tradition) is about having our gods help us and help our clients. They're the ones with the powers and abilities at the root of it, we are merely vessels for them.